Pakistan Medical Association
Pakistan Medical Association Karachi (PMA) is a platform that is open to all those doctors who are willing to make a positive difference in the health sector of Pakistan. It is a patient friendly organization.
The Pakistan Medical Association was established in 1948 in Dacca. It was inaugurated by Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah.
The Message of Quaid-e-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan, on the inauguration ceremony of Pakistan Medical Association in March 1948.
“I have learnt with great interest that Pakistan Medical Association has been formed and is going to be inaugurated on Saturday the 27th March, 1948 in Dhaka. This Association, I hope, will serve earnestly to organize the medical profession in Pakistan on a high level befitting our State. It can render many services if it is well organized and efficient. For example, it can help to speed up medical relief of which we stand in very great need indeed at present. It will also keep medical and social contact with similar interests in other parts of the world for exchange of views and ideas from time to time, and thereby establish better understanding in solving medical problems peculiar to various countries and Pakistan. I wish Pakistan Medical Association all success. – Pakistan Zindabad”
Message to the Pakistan Medical Association
Dhaka on the 26th March, 1948
It was later moved to Karachi to provide opportunity for its rapid development and growth, which became its permanent headquarters.
In Karachi a detailed Constitution was drafted and approved. The Association was registered under the Registration of Societies Act XXI of 1960 and branches were established all over Pakistan.
The first All-Pakistan Medical Conference was inaugurated by Mr. Liaquat Ali Khan at Karachi. A beginning was made by inviting medical delegates from different countries of the world to attend our Biennial Conference. A tradition was laid down for international cooperation which has since grown with the passage of time.
It was during this early period that Sir Alexander Flemming, the discoverer of Penicillin, visited Pakistan as the guest of the Pakistan Medical Association. The first honorary membership of the Association was conferred on him. Sir Alexander Flemming gave a talk on “How Pakistani Children can grow to be the Research Workers of tomorrow” at Rainbow Court Y.M.C.A.
In 1951 the PMA started its publication Journal of Pakistan Medical Association (JPMA) as an official organ of the Pakistan Medical Association.
Pakistan Medical Association is an active member of confederation of Medical Association of Asia and Oceania. Pakistan Medical Association has always taken active and constructive part in international health and medical activities. In 1961 at the request of British Medical Association mutual affiliation between British Medical Association and Pakistan Medical Association was achieved. In November 1966 a joint meeting of British and Pakistan Medical Association was held at Karachi. The Pakistan Medical Association was an active member of the Commonwealth Medical Association and took keen interest in its development and growth. The Association has taken active part in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th World Conference on medical education.
Aims & Objectives:
- To promote the Medical and Allied Sciences.
- To maintain the honour and dignity of the Medical Profession and to protect the interest, rights and privileges of the members of the Association and to develop the spirit amongst the members for doing their duty, Medical, Ethical, Social and Civil in all aspects of the national and individual life.
- To help the profession in protecting and caring for the physical and mental well being of the people of Pakistan.
- To take measures for the improvement and advancement of Medical Education in Pakistan.
- To maintain cooperation and solidarity amongst the members of the Association, and to foster the spirit of brotherhood.
- To draw the member of Medical Profession and the general public they serve, closer and develop better understanding between them.
- To give professional and expert help, advice and cooperation of the Medical profession to the Government and the organized bodies in their work on the administration and management of health matter and Medical Education etc.
- To guide and help members of the profession especially new entrants in the establishment of their career.
- To safeguard and defend the interest and integrity of the members of the Medical Profession through ethical, moral or legal means at the disposal of the Association.
- To help the families of the deceased, disabled and ailing members of the profession.
DR. KHALIL MUKADDAM (HONORARY PRESIDENT)
DR. FARHAN ESSA (HONORARY VICE-PRESIDENT-1)
DR. ABDUL GHAFFOOR SHORO (HONORARY GENERAL SECRETARY)
DR. ISMAIL MEMON (HONORARY JOINT SECRETARY)
ABDUL REHMAN (HONORARY LIBRARIAN)
PMA Executive Committee List:
|DR.||NAJUM F. MAHMUDI|
|DR.||SARWAR JAMIL SIDDIQUI|
|DR.||MUHAMMAD ASIF QURESHI|
|DR.||FARHAN ESSA ABDULLAH|
|DR.||KHALIL AHMED ISMAIL MUKADDAM|
|DR.||GHULAM ALI QURESHI|
|DR.||SYED AKMAL SULTAN|
|DR.||MUHAMMAD SAEED QURESHI|
|DR.||SAJJAD AHMED SIDDIQUI|
|DR.||S. M. QAISAR SAJJAD|
|DR.||BINISH ARIF SULTAN|
|DR.||SYED TIPU SULTAN|
|DR.||KHALID HASSAN BHATTI|
|DR.||MIRZA ALI AZHAR|
|DR.||WAQAR H. KAZMI|
|DR.||ATTA UR REHMAN|
|DR.||NIAZ AHMED BROHI|
|DR.||LUBNA A. BAIG|
|DR.||ZIA UL ISLAM|
|DR.||MISBAH UL AZIZ|
|DR.||SAMEER RAISUDDIN QURESHI|
|DR.||MUZAFFAR ALI UQAILI|
|DR.||SAYYED SHABBIR NAWAZ SAFAVI|
|DR.||NAWAID FAROOQUE KHAN|